May 23, 2012 at 3:10pm
Celebration Of 49th AU Day
The 49th Africa Union Day falls on Friday,25 th May,2012.As adopted at the Eighteenth Ordinary Session of the Assembly of the African Union this year’s day will be commemorated under the theme for the year 2012 ‘’Boosting Intra-African Trade’’ in line with the commitment to fast track creation of an African continental free trade by 2017.The celebration also coincides with the convening of the Global African Diaspora Summit in South Africa under the AU Decision (Assembly/AU/Dec.367(XVII).
African Union Day celebrates the anniversary of the signing of one of the founding documents of the African Union, the SirteDeclaration.
On 9th September, 1999, African heads of state gathered at an Organization of African Unity conference in Sirte, Libya, agreeing to establish the African Union.
A series of activities are being organized in the month of May to highlight the theme for the celebration and the importance of the Africa Union (AU) and the Economic Community of West African State (ECOWAS) in the pursuance of Ghana’s development agenda.
It will be recalled in this regard that the Mininstry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration designated the Month May as ‘Regional Integration Month’ in commemoration of the anniversaries of the AU and ECOWAS which fall on 25th May and 28th May, respectively.
The following activities are to be held as part of the celebrations.
20th May, 2012
• Special 'WHAT-DO-KNOW' Quiz competition to be aired on Ghana Radio and GTV(1:00pm)
• ‘’Talking Point’’ programme on the theme to be televised on GTV(8:00-9:00PM)
24th-25th May, 2012
• Mini Trade Fair at the Accra International Conference Centre(AICC)
25th May, 2012
• Sponsored Walk on some principal street of Accra(6:00-7:00am)
• Breakfast Show on GTV(7:00-8:00am)
• Flag Raising Ceremony at the Forecourt of the State House )9:00-10:00am)
• Mock AU Summit at the Accra International Conference Centre(10:00am-5:00pm)
• Photo Exhibition to be mounted at the AICC throughout the day
• Cockail Reception at the Banques hall of the State House at 6:30pm
All media houses and the Ghanaian public are invited to participate in the outlined activities to make this year’s celebration a memorable one.
Ministry Of Foreign Affairs And Regional Integration