Egypt school head suspended over mosque attack simulation

| Updated Nov 29, 2017 at 5:43am

 

Library file: Relatives of injured worshippers grieve outside the Suez Canal University hospital in Ismailia, Egypt, a day after an attack on a mosque. (AP).

 

The head of an Egyptian school has been suspended after photos emerged showing a group of students acting out last week's deadly attack on a Sinai mosque, an official said.

Friday's massacre during prayers in the North Sinai town of Rawda killed 305 people when suspected Islamic State group gunmen surrounded the mosque and opened fire.

ISIS has not claimed the attack, one of the deadliest in Egypt's history.

Photos posted on social media showed students from a middle school in the Nile Delta simulating the attack in their school yard.

Some were dressed as hooded attackers in black uniforms, carrying dummy weapons, while others played victims, lying on the ground in white clothes covered with red spots.

"We suspended the director and the theatre group pending the outcome of an investigation", education ministry official Ridha Hijazi told AFP.

He said the investigation could lead to sanctions if it revealed that the activity was intended to incite violence.


SOURCE: News24



POST A COMMENT 0